Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Serengeti Safari

Finally I get to upload a few pictures, its costing $5 US a hour, which is about five times the normal amount, but its all good.....




Stone Town, Zanzibar


Paje, Eastern side of Zanzibar.
This place was out of my budget, but as you can see the view was well worth the $25 a night

Steps of a Mosque, there are many in Stone Town, one was directly across from where I stayed. Every moring the call to prayers was at 5:00, it was like the loud speaker was in my room.


One of the many alleys

Seregenti Safari


I couldn't resist this picture. Notice the background.....



What an exciting few days. After much negotiation with many safari companies in Moshi, I settled on one. I just got back to Arusha yesterday. I spent four days, three nights on safari at Lake Manyara, Ngorogoro Crater and the Serengeti. It was an amazing four days. I think the highlight was all the big cats, lots of lions, a few leopards and cheetahs.


The first day in the Seregenti we drove all day through just a portion of the park. The park itself is over 14,000 sq. km. It's huge. We stopped for the day at around 7:00. The camp ground where we put our tent was in the middle of the park. NO FENCES. During the night I could hear animals all around. The situation was so unreal, it didn't bother me that much and I actually slept. The next morning when we left camp, we were less than a km when we came upon two huge lions on the side of the road. The next night we spent on the 'rim' of the Ngorogoro crater, again lots of animals in the area. We could see buffalo and elephants from our site. The view out over the crater was amazing. The elevation of the rim is about 2400 metres. During breakfast the next morning the cook told us that an elephant has wrecked a tent the night before, fortunately there was no one in it. It was probably a good thing that I didn't know that the night before.
I will try to upload a few more picture in another post.

1 comment:

Marna said...

Awesome. I am going to try and forward this to Janice. She just came back from a cruise - totally different circumstances!!
it's nice to see pics of the sun! it has been typical rain here.
What great pictures. how exciting and you survived!