Friday, November 7, 2008

I am Canadian

Today I went to search for a new book. I just finished reading 'What is the What', it's about the Lost Boys of Sudan. Amazing read. I went to the library, asking where I can find a book store, the lady misunderstood and looked at me rather surprisingly and said in her broken English, 'we don't sell our books'. She pointed me up the street to a nearby store. It was more like a news stand, but the seller said he had many 'good' books inside. I thought I would take a look. He had one John Grisham book and one by another author and about ten German books. He was rather dismayed and a bit surprised to learn that I didn't read German.

I have been asked many times if I am American. For many Tanzanians anything in the west is American, that is partly true for many areas in Africa actually. Once they find out that I am Canadian, without fail the next question is..... Toronto?

I never did find a new book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Max - I wish I could send you some books!! I know how it is to be without books in English while you're traveling.
I know this may take a while, so I wanted to wish you a very happy birthday (11/15 for those of you reading who aren't aware!!). I hope this year brings you everything you've hoped for!!
Keep up the good work!
Love, Lori Nobert