Thursday, November 20, 2008

Rwanda Continued

I went to my first African "protest" yesterday. The whole town marched in support of "Rose". She is a Rwandan politician that went to Europe and was promptly arrested for her supposed role in the 1994 genocide. Specifically she was arrested for shooting down the then president's plane. Rwandans say that she had nothing to do with this and is totally innocent. So, yesterday I had my 'FREE ROSE' banner on and marched with several thousand people. It was quite the experience. I went with my friend Cathy who lives here, she thought it was completely appropriate that I show support. There was also an American visitor that marched with us. We got a lot of attention. We were talked about on the radio and pictures were taken for the press. While travelling in most African countries you would run a mile to get away from such an event, but somehow it seemed different here. It was all very peaceful.

I've been spending my mornings at a pre-school that was started by Cathy. She is from B.C. and is married to a Rwandan. She is an amazing lady, the things that she has accomplished in her short time here is remarkable. The pre-school has about 130 children, ranging in age from 2-6. Cathy is also involved with other areas of education and community initiatives. Of the 130 Children, only the youngest get bread and milk enriched with sorghum. It would be great if she had the resources to feed all the children at her school. I am hoping that the Silokwethemba Project (www.silokwethemb.org) might be able to assist her in that. We will see what happens.

The school itself runs mostly outside. There is a school building being built, but still waiting for a roof. Cathy also provides some medical support for all the student's bumps, brusises and cuts, the occasional parent also shows up for medical support. Its an 'all-purpose' kind of school.

Rwanda has had a tragic history in the past 20 years. Its very complicated with many different parties involved. Here is what Wikipedia says....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rwanda_genocide

1 comment:

Marna said...

Well Max - we were thinking what to support this year with PREP and our prayer group so I think this project will be it!! Little kids are a weak point for me you know.
Sophia will be 1 on the 9th of Dec. I get to babysit her this weekend. What can we do to support the kids? Can you give me ideas where the money will go? I am presuming food - duh!
maple Ridge - what a amazing world we live in. So many connections.