Friday, September 19, 2008

Hoping for Change

My time in Zimbabwe is down to its last week. It has been a challenging time. It's hard to recognize the desperation of people unless you live with them. Even that's not a fair comparison, I know I'm leaving here. It's been heartbreaking seeing people cling to hope for change. People are hungry, poor and unemployed. Can you think of a worse combination of circumstances? Zimbabwe made history this week, it's the first time in 28 years that President Mugabe has decided to share power. I was with about 100 people on Wednesday watching the news conference on TV of the signing of the power sharing agreement. People in the room were cheering, one older lady was weeping. For Zimbabweans, this is the hope of change that they have been waiting for. It's going to be a long road back to economic recovery for this country.

Last week I got to take part in a few surgical procedures. I use the term 'take part' rather loosely. I didn't cut anyone or even hold a retractor. I was the theatre 'runner.' I got to open sterile gloves, place needles and scalpel blades on the sterile table. I know it all sounds easy, but there is a particular process you have to go through to maintain a sterile environment. OK .... it wasn't a real important job, but someone had to do it and it was fun. The procedure was a c-section. Dawn asked me if I wanted to take the baby, I said 'NO WAY' ... it was all slick, imagine if I dropped it.

This will probably be my last blog from Zimbabwe. I appreciate all the emails of support.

No comments: