Friday, March 7, 2008

My Africa

My first trip to Africa was in February of 2000, this coming July will be my ninth visit. I say this not to boast about my travel experiences, but to tell you what an impact Africa has has on my life. I think from my first visit there in 2000, I felt the 'pull'.  I have a rewarding job here in Canada, but the rewards I feel there are different. To see the courage it takes for a person to live day by day, not knowing where tomorrow's food is coming from, or school fees for their children... it just has a very profound affect on you. Then to see these same people welcome you into their home and feed you, AND give you a gift before you leave, saying ' this is our culture', wow.... I can't even explain how it makes you feel. I'm not sure if I would be so kind given the situation. I'd like to say that I would be, but I'm not sure. 

While in Zimbabwe, I stay in a tiny rural village called Tshelanyemba. At the centre of this village is Tshelanyemba hospital. It offers health care to a population of about 35,000 people. It has one doctor and many amazing nurses. For some people living at a hospital would be depressing, I'm often uplifted by the many experiences I gain there. More than half of the patients in the hospital suffer from AIDS/HIV, or some related illness. Living in Canada, we are often so far removed from the whole issue of AIDS, its something we read about in a Maclean's magazine. I've been often overwhelmed and sometimes brought to tears to see the 'face' of an AIDS sufferer. I have a friend in Tshelanyemba, her name is Mavis. She was diagnosed with HIV in 1994. She has lost her husband and her 11 year old son to AIDS, if anyone had a reason to be bitter, it would be Mavis. This is not the case, she is a very strong determined woman, never shying away from telling people about her status. She made the very bold move of starting support groups for people living with AIDS/HIV. There is a huge stigma attached to you if you tell the community that you are HIV+, Mavis took the chance and it has had a very positive affect on many peoples lives. She really is an amazing woman.

No comments: