Thursday, January 15, 2009

Aranbol Beach, Goa, India

I have been in Aranbol, Goa for the past three days. It is on the western side of India on the Arabian Sea. I'm feeling kind of stuck here, I don't want to leave. I come up with a new excuse every day on why to stay another day. My excuse for not moving tomorrow - it's Friday and many people will be heading to other beaches and therefore I might not find any place to stay... that sounds reasonable doesn't it. Aranbol is great, it is a very 'festive' beach. Lots of music and entertainment all day and well into the evening. The water is amazing, I've been swimming at least three times every day. I have to fit the swimming into my rather hectic schedule of reading, walking the beach, massage, eating, yoga and napping. I have a rough life. I think I will head to the southern part of Goa on Monday and then on to southern India after that. I expect my 5- 6 weeks in India will be spent in the south.

I'm staying in a great little beach hut, and it is just a hut. Nothing but a bed, mosquito net and a fan. The temperatures have been really nice at night, not too hot.

I've been bumping into people that I've met along the way. Yesterday I was walking the street and bumped into a guy that was in my hostel in Mumbai. The strangest occurrence was when I arrived in Mumbai and bumped into a traveller that I stayed with in the rural parts of Uganda in Africa, what are the chances of meeting someone on another continent in among 16.4 million people.

When I was on my way here today to the Internet cafe, there were two guys doing tricks on the beach with a cow. Seriously, they had the cow decorated, and one of the guys was lying on the beach and the cow was standing on him with one leg, meanwhile the other guy was playing music. Only in Goa.


This is not the 'trick' cow, it was just lying in the sun on the beach. There are many of them all over the beach.


2 comments:

Stacy Kaye said...

It's so interesting that you are running in to people you have met! It DOES make the world seem small, doesn't it?

Marna said...

While we try to see in the fog we can live vicariously thru you and your travels. It all sounds wonderful. Glad you see some familiar faces every once in a while!