Sunday, March 22, 2009

Lost in Hanoi

I've spent the last few days in Hanoi. It's a great city to wander in, lots of great things to see. I've been to see Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum. Ho Chi Minh is seen as the great liberator of Vietnam and is held in very high regard. The funny thing is, he had requested a simple cremation before he died. His request certainly wasn't heeded. He is laid to rest in a giant glass 'cage' in a monster of a building. Hardly simple. It was interesting to go though, I was surprised to see that I was one of the few foreigners. Most of the visitors were Vietnamese, who visit to pay their respects.

My Friends Joe and Hannah left a few days ago for Laos, it was great traveling with them if for the simple reason I had someone navigating my way. I have been lost so many times in the past few days. This morning I headed out to an area around the lake, and wanted to wander through all the narrow market streets. Once again, I got severely off track and ended up in a completely different area of the city. I know this must sound humourous, but when you suffer from the 'direction disability' it can be very frustrating, especially when you're wandering in hot humid weather.

Tomorrow I'm off to Singapore to meet up with some friends and just a week later to Melbourne, Australia.

No comments: