Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Museum, university and gorillas

It has been another great week in Rwanda.

I left last Sunday and took a bus with a group to Butari. The group mostly was of young guys, most in their last years of high school and my friend Cathy and another American volunteer. We had a great time. We visited the National Museum and also the University of Rwanda. Some of the guys hope to be attending there in a few years. It was nice to see another part of the country.

I'm heading to Kampala this coming weekend. I'll be spending about two weeks in Uganda, I'm hoping to do some white water rafting on the Nile. That sounds so cool... rafting on the Nile. I'll be heading back to Rwanda to spend Christmas with friends before heading to Mumbai, India on January 7.

This morning was certainly a highlight since I've arrived here in this country. I got to go treking in Volcanoes National Park to visit the Silverback Mountain Gorilla. It was an amazing experience. I got very muddy and stung by stinging nettle, but it was all worth it to spend a full hour visiting the Amororow family of gorillas. We just stood off to the side and they slept, groomed each other, the kids played and the teenagers were a bit rowdy. There was one time at the end of the hour when the teens were screeming at each other and they came running towards our group, the guide said in a very quite voice, 'don't move or run'. When two gorillas are running towards you with teeth bared, it is hard to stay still. We all managed to though, I think some in the group might have needed a change of underwear after. If ever you are in Rwanda it is worth the money.

1 comment:

Marna said...

Amazing. Quite the experience you are having. I am glad you will be with friends at Christmas