Wednesday, May 27, 2009

End of 'this' Adventure....

After 326 days of travel,

17 countries,
(England, Zimbabwe, Botswana, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda, India, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Singapore, Australia, Vanuatu and China)

76,700 Kilometres traveled (and that's traveling 'as the crow flies' not the winding roads),

89 different beds,

and 29 books read,

I have made it back to Canada.

I have met lawyers, doctors, teachers, restaurant managers, founders of laughing clubs, journalists doing secret stories, traveling seniors and photographers. Kevin talked to me about farming in Manitoba and Pontus was my Swedish expert. I met a group of young people from Rwanda that made me feel young and happy; and an amazing Canadian women who left Canada to start a preschool in Ruhengeri, Rwanda.

I've said many times in this blog that its the people you meet along the journey that makes this whole experience memorable. This year I have traveled with Anne from Canada, Kevin and Dominic, also from Canada, Jonathan from Germany, Lukas from Austria, Kate from Australia, Aidan from England, Pontus from Sweden, Ian from Germany, Sonya from Russia, Michiel and Celein from Holland and in northern Vietnam Hannah and Joe from England.

I feel a little bit like I'm accepting an award but there are many people that have opened their homes to me and included me in their lives, families, fed me and gave me free accommodation. Venters in Johannesburg; Walters and Nedfts in Capetown; Rowes in Nelsprit; My Zimbabwe Family; Cathy and family in Rwanda; Rajam and family in India; Tuckers in Singapore; Clisdells and Chidgeys in Australia and finally Lukas and Xin Xin in Beijing.

Highlights and Strange Happenings
• I was a trillionaire in Zimbabwe and still couldn't really buy much
• I got questioned by a Zimbabwe Customs official. I had claimed 'solar panels and welding rods' on my receipts. He wanted to know why a tourist was buying 'solar panels and welding rods', good question really
• A taxi driver in Tanzania wanted me to back him in setting up a toilet paper business
• I looked after a hotel for a short time in Zanzibar while the guy went to prayers at the mosque
• Camped in the middle of the Serengeti National Park surrounded my lions and elephants, sleeping alone in only a tent and NO FENCE
• I went on a 'Free Rose' demonstration in Rwanda and according to the radio they were glad to have "Canada's support"
• Rafted and swam 32 km of the Nile
• Took one trip from Uganda to Rwanda that included a dugout canoe, a taxi, a car with seven people, and two separate motorcycles... all in the same day
• I ordered a 'cheese burger' of a menu in Varanasi, India, expecting a normal cheese burger... silly me... I got two pieces of bread with a piece of deep fried cheese
• On one day in India, I watched kids playing cricket, went to a Bollywood movie shoot, and had chai tea with three Indian Police officers
• Saw some very drunk pigs in Dalat, Vietnam
• Took a taxi in Beijing that broke down, then took another taxi where the driver kept explaining a story to me about a screwdriver, which he kept waving at me, all of this in Chinese
• Hiked nine kilometres of the Great Wall of China

I've posted a few pictures from China on FB:
Here are the links:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=263490&id=763065018&l=06f3f0c3e7
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=263494&id=763065018&l=183d576214

It has been an incredible eleven month trip around this wonder world that we live in, can't wait to do it all again.

10 comments:

Marna said...

Welcome Home! Of course you know I had to comment on your blog! What great memories. Where are you going next?

i think all "this" will be boring for you - but then again you did say it is about the people you meet! May God continue to shine upon your journeys!!
see you soon.
marna

Mavis said...

Welcome Home, I have Enjoyed reading about your Travels throughout the Year, Wishing you All The Best in your Next Endeavors, Love Mavis.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Naja, ob das alles so richtig ist..

Anonymous said...

Naja, ob das alles so richtig ist..