Tuesday, February 17, 2009

INdia ... The Conclusion

It's hard to believe that it has been six weeks since I arrived in India. India was amazing, some parts were very easy, others very challenging. Overall it was a very good experience. My last week in India was spent in Varanasi and then Calcutta. Four days in Varanasi is not enough. I spent my time there wandering the ghats. It seemed like they were different every time you walked them. There is just so much activity. They form the core of everything that happens in Varanasi. One day in the week a ghat is devoted to laundry. It was cool to see all the shirts, pants and sarees spread out on lines and on the ground.

From Varanasi, I took a train to Calcutta. I only spent two days here. I lived on Sudder Street, this is the 'tourist' area. Calcutta really surprised me, once again my western notions were shattered in a good way. I think most people think of Calcutta as one big slum. Well, it is far from that. It has theatres, malls, a theme park and huge water park. I'm sure it has the same social issues that any big city has but it is far from a slum. I had a great time here. I met these two ladies in their 50's from Ireland and a guy from Burma. We had a lot of fun together. Only when you travel can you find combinations like that.

India in brief....
- The rule of the road.... there are no rules.... get where you need to go however possible.
- Banana leaves are often used for plates and place mats, new ones every meal.
- First question ALWAYS to me, how many Children do you have? Then, are you married?
When I say no, Why? How old are you and usually how much money do you make. You don't really have to know someone well to be asked these questions, I've been asked by rickshaw drivers many times.
- Men and women will not sit next to each other in public places, on buses or trains. They will always re-arrange seating to accommodate this.
- Getting on a public bus is 'CRAZY', the people literally just storm the door, with elbows flying.
- If you are in an Indian home, you are constantly being asked, 'Are you ok?' 'Do you need anything to drink/eat?' You are treated very well.

Sarees on laundry day
From the back of my rickshaw, its difficult to capture on camera just how crowded the streets were.


Here I am on the ghats in Varanasi.


Laundry day







This temple is seriously leaning.






1 comment:

Marna said...

great pictures Max. The comment made me think of Matt Maher's song " All God's creatures have a place in heaven - some sing high - some sing low...."! it is so great you can travel with open eyes and see the beauty of the places and the people you meet. it is like you are seeing Christ in them. awesome - have a good one.
God Bless
marna