Thursday, November 6, 2008

In the shadow of Kilimanjaro

Internet here can drive you absolutely crazy. I booked one hour to write on this blog, I now have 12 minutes left. I am just now getting on.

My two days on the eastern side of the island were amazing. I stayed in a small town called Paje. Cheap accommodation was impossible to find, so I had to cave in and pay $25 a night for a place on the beach. I know you're thinking, that's still pretty cheap but for the past month I had been paying $10 a night. It was worth it to stay on this beautiful beach. I met a great group of people there. We all ate and chatted late into the night. American politics and the presidential election was on every ones mind it seems. Even though there was only one American in the group.

I left Paje, Zanzibar two days ago. It was 48 hours of travel. Wednesday morning I got a ride to Stone Town from a great German couple I met at the hotel. I caught a late ferry, The Flying Horse to Dar es Salaam, it left at ten at night, getting me into Dar at 6:00 on Thursday morning. The trip itself didn't take that long, they anchor somewhere just off Zanzibar and spend the night. Ferry operators think it is too dangerous for people to show up in Dar in the middle of the night, so they delay the arrival until 6:00 am. Once in Dar I got a taxi to the Scandinavian Bus depot to catch a ride to Moshi. The bus was a 'luxury' bus, I use the term luxury loosely. The ride took ten hours and for a large portion of the trip there was a 'mixed cd' on the stereo, playing Micheal Bolton, Air Supply, Kenny Rogers and Celine Dion. It was on repeat for many hours. At some point in time it became a part of the noise.

Walking around Moshi was interesting. It was as if I had a t-shirt on saying, "I want to go on Safari". I was approached at least 15 times in the first hour on the street. The funny thing is I am looking for a safari. I guess they could tell by the look in my eyes. I have a few prospects for trips leaving in the next few days to the Serengeti. I have to decide today.

Moshi is the place that people come to if they want to climb Mount Kilimanjaro. I had an interesting chat a few days ago with a Tanzanian about climbing Kilimanjaro, he said no Tanzanian would ever think about climbing it unless you were a guide. They think the foreigners are crazy to want to do it. I have to admit, crazy or not, if it wasn't so expensive and if I was prepared, I would definitely think about it.

Its pouring raining today here in Moshi.

I have had great intentions with posting pictures on here. I've tried about 5-6 times in different internet cafes, none of them have a connection fast enough to upload them. It will have to wait.

2 comments:

Marna said...

As I was reading your blog I was wondering about pictures and you answered my question as if you were right here- weird. I think others may read your blog but decide not comment as you have to sign up and remember a password so you are able to read their comment. i am on gmail so I think it was maybe easier for me.
Hope the weather is better and that you get a safe safari!
God Bless
Marna

Anonymous said...

Tanzanians view climbing the mountain as work (and it is for them, as guides, assistant guides, cooks, waiters and porters). They don't see the logic in paying to work.